Week 1 of the 2023-24 NFL season is now in the books. Here are some betting notes to be aware of before taking action on any Week 2 NFL betting lines.
NFL Notes Following Week 1:
- New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers has been lost for the season due to a torn Achilles tendon in his right ankle. Zack Wilson will be the Jets starting QB going forth.
- Miami Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa threw for the fourth-most passing yards for a Week 1 game during the Super Bowl era. Tua posted the following stat line on Sunday against the LA Chargers: 28-45, 466 Yards, 3 Touchdowns, 1 interception.
- The Cincinnati Bengals only put three points on the board against the Cleveland Browns, placing their ability to routinely score in jeopardy. It is their worst scoring output since October 11th, 2020, when they only managed a field goal against the Baltimore Ravens. Is it time to panic in Cincinnati? Yes.
- Only six AFC teams won a game during the first weekend of action.
Here are a few games that intrigued our staff for Week 2 at online Super Bowl betting sites.
Green Bay Packers @ Atlanta Falcons
- Point Spread: Packers -2.0, Falcons +2.0
- Moneyline Odds To Win: Packers -125, Falcons +105
- Over/Under: 40.5
There weren’t many prognosticators suggesting that betting on the Green Bay Packers to win the NFC North in 2023 was a good idea. That tune has likely changed around the country, as the Packers’ new starting quarterback, Jordan Love, showed why the front office was okay with moving on from Aaron Rodgers in the offseason.
The Falcons have a decent shot at winning the NFC South this division. They’ve improved on offense and look to take advantage of a division that was presumed to be in a weakened state entering this season. If Desmond Ritter can play well, the Falcons have a great shot at making the postseason.
Atlanta took care of business against the Carolina Panthers last weekend, but the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New Orleans Saints also won their first games. GB vs. ATL will be a test for both teams, but after seeing what Love can do, we’re betting on the Packers to cover.
Kansas City Chiefs @ Jacksonville Jaguars
- Point Spread: Chiefs -3.0, Jaguars +3.0
- Moneyline Odds To Win: Chiefs -170, Jaguars +145
- Over/Under: 51.0
KC vs. the Jags is another assessment game to see where these two AFC contenders stand. The usually pathetic Jaguars are poised for a division crown this season, and they’ve delivered on those beliefs by winning their Week 1 game against the Indianapolis Colts 31-21.
The Chiefs dropped their opening Thursday night game to the Detroit Lions and now look to re-establish dominance in the AFC with a win over Jacksonville.
We’re hesitant to do so, but most of our staff is betting on the Chiefs to cover this Sunday.
Cleveland Browns @ Pittsburgh Steelers
- Point Spread: Browns -2.0, Steelers +2.0
- Moneyline Odds To Win: Browns -130, Steelers +110
- Over/Under: 39.0
This week, there are two Monday Night Football games. The first is the Browns vs. Steelers, where Cleveland is favored to win on the road. We were a lot more confident in the Steelers Kenny Pickett entering the season than we are right now.
Now that we’ve seen Kenny face a top defense (San Francisco 49ers), our staff doubts his capabilities against another superior unit. Look for the Browns to cover and win, climbing to an early 2-0 AFC North division lead.